Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My First Classrooms

This is a picture of my very first classroom. It is an E3 (Third Grade) class comprised of 20 eager learners. It was a tearful experience when it was shown to me. It is what I have been working for for so long! I feel so blessed to be in this place working at
CELA so the gospel of Christ can be heard by the children of Taiwan.
It was a new and different experience preparing the classroom for my first day of school. There are no teacher stores or die cut machines so bulletin boards had to be made by hand. I didn't know anything about my students except their names. I organized and decorated as best I could. I even had fun doing it.
Then the students came in for the first time. It was a grand mixture of nerves and energy. My students are great! I am getting to know their individual personalities and quirks.

We will be working and learning together this year. My job is to help them hone their English skills. My real goal for the year will be to show the love of Christ to those in my care so they are open to the Gospel. I will be daily planting and nurturing the seeds of faith. Please pray for these students!

The picture to the right is my kindergarten classroom. In addition to my E3 class, I also teach four K2 (four year old) classes. They are going to be a challenge to say the least. The children are adorable and fairly well-behaved. They are a joy to be around and they make me smile all the time.
However, they do not speak English. Any English. They know the vocabulary we teach them: table, chair, teacher, boy, girl, mom, dad, etc. My job is to teach them basic vocabulary and teach them how to answer questions. My goal with these children (all 80 of them) is to introduce them to the gospel in a way that they can understand. For many of these students, it will be the first time they will have ever heard of Jesus. Please pray that my ministry to them may be meaningful and that I find the right words to show them the Gospel.

2 comments:

erinalter said...

how exciting! your first classroom. will you ever forget it? i think not!

blessings on your days. and keep your focus where it is now: on Christ, and how to share his love with your students:)

Beth Daugherty said...

Your classroom is very clean! I love it. I can't wait to hear about faces. Hopefully you are being encouraged there in Taiwan. We think about you a lot and hope you are doing well. Thank you for blogging!!! Keep it up.