Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Mountaintop Experiences


After returning from a trip home for Christmas to see my family, I was not quite ready to get back into the swing of classes. Luckily, I had only three days of work to do before I had another vacation. Over the Western New Year holiday, three friends and I took a trip to paradise. We took a long train ride to the east side of the island, to Taroko Gorge. Taroko is the most beautiful place I have ever been. We went hiking and walked around this place that is as close to heaven on earth as I will ever get. The weather was perfect, the sky was a clear blue, and the mountains were picturesque to say the least.

When we were hiking, we walked about 1,000 feet above the river, along a cliff on the side of the mountain. The whole time I was seeking a way to get down to the water. I wanted to be close to it and feel it. While looking for another trail, we happened along a service path. It looked like we would be able to get closer to the water, so we started down. The path was not really meant for the average hiker. The trail was unstable and we had to do some quick thinking. At one point we had to slide down a rock and jump down hoping we didn't break our necks. After an adventourous journey, we made it down to the water. It was breathtaking. It was so tranquil that we sat at the edge of the water in silence.

I felt so close to God on this trip. Sitting on the edge of the water, with the breeze blowing and the sun shining, I kept thinking that God must love us so much to create this place for us to see; to make a world with mountains and rivers and flowers and trees. What an amazing and loving Father we have.

No comments: