Friday, September 4, 2009

Its That Easy?!?

Tonight was out first Friday Night Bible Study of the year. It was exciting to see everyone again and get to catch up on how everyone's summer went. After our singing time, we had a lot of time for fellowship.

Another missionary and I were talking and she asked me why Erin (one of my Youth Group students) wasn't a Christian yet. I told her I didn't know. She suggested we ask her. Amy, you see, is a genius, and always uses the most direct methods.

So, Amy and I asked Erin why she wasn't a Christian. Here is a dialogue of the conversation:

Amy: So, Erin, why aren't you a Christian?
Erin: Oh, well, what do you have to do to be a Christian?
Beka: Do you believe that Jesus is God?
Erin: Yes, of course.
Beka: Do you believe that Jesus is the only God?
Erin: Yes, I think there are no other gods except Jesus.
Amy: Well, then you ARE a Christian.
Erin: Oh, well, then what do I do.
Beka: You should be baptized.
Erin: How do I get baptized?
Beka: Let's go talk to Pastor Alex.
Erin: Ok.


Erin talked to Pastor Alex and she will begin baptismal classes next week with the hope that she can be baptized later this year.

As we were talking, I kept thinking of Paul and Silas:
He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household." Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized. Acts 16: 30-33



Sometimes it is scary when you work so hard to befriend and gain trust with someone, especially one of your students, to ask the simple questions.

Praise God that sometimes they come to you and ask the important questions for themselves. This experience has taught me that the simplest of times, the quickest of conversations, can open the doors to faith.

Please pray for Erin and her new faith.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jesus is so amazing! Only He know when is the right time!