Saturday, November 15, 2008

Modern Dance

Taiwan offers us many opportunities to experience new things. I arrived home after a cathartic trip to Starbucks to an invitation to join some of Team Taiwan for a trip to the Min Hsiung Cultural Center. I was told we would be going to a "traditional Chinese dance show." Excited at the possibility of seeing something of the culture, I agreed with enthusiasm.

Upon arriving at the cultural center, however, I found out that we would be seeing Taiwan's renowned modern dance troupe and they would be preforming not traditional dances but a "frictionless modern dance movement." Ok, I thought, why not? At least it will be something new.

Boy was it! The four male dancers were shall I say scantily clad and covered in baby oil. They preformed primarily writhing around on the ground and wiggling. I am still unaware if there was a plot or story line but it was iinteresting to say the least.

All was not lost! After the performance, the audience was invited onto the stage where there was a plastic mat covered in baby oil. We got to play on it. As always in Taiwan, we were given a special invitation to join the nationals. So, five of us went up on stage and danced in the baby oil. It was a blast.

This was truly a once in a lifetime experience and though it may not have been the greatest performance I have ever seen, it was definitely a great memory to share with my team.

2 comments:

kristalmazac said...

sounds like fun, you should show us how thats done when you get back:)

AshleyEffken said...

What?

LOL