Tuesday, October 21, 2008

This is Taiwan

In the movie, Blood Diamond, Leo frequently says "TIA- This is Africa." Among the missionaries of Taiwan, we frequently say "TIT- This is Taiwan." Here are the hilarious (though maybe only to the people here) examples from today. This post in dedicated to Anna Meyer.

"Why do those children have guns?"- Some of the high school kids take part in a military type class. They practice with real guns. When I say guns I mean large machine gun looking metal things. This is not color guard my American friends.

"Are they going to keep those spikes up there?" - We are putting in a fire escape thing at CELA. When I say fire escape I don't mean ladders or stairs. Its a rope or it will be. They started building the landing structure today. At the top are these very sharp metal spikes. I don't know why.

A few additions:

"They don't speak Chinese in America?!" and "There are 7/11 in America?!"- We are starting Pen Pals this week and I asked the students to write about differences between Taiwan and America. These were a few of the shocking things my students discovered.

This is Taiwan. Nothing is what you expect and everything is a memory.

No comments: